It’s not often that the most memorable lines in crime movies are about love. In fact, the most memorable lines in crime movies usually seem to be about crime. But it’s Valentine’s Day, so here at CrimeReads, we decided to put together a fun quiz to spice up your day, one which merges both those things: romance and crime.
The objective is very simple: try to name the crime movie that each romantic quote comes from. “romantic” is defined slightly loosely, because of the genre we’re playing in, but “crime” is not. There are no war films, no fantasy movies, no action-adventure flicks on here. These quotes are from movies where a “crime” is a very important part. If a line is from a comical movie, it’s because that comedy is also very much a crime movie.
Some of the lines are declarations of love, some are acknowledgments of love, some are confessions of crimes that also mention love for some reason. Some are flirtations. Some are proposals. There are opening lines. There are last lines. And there are some which are fairly tricky, but if you don’t remember them, hopefully you can guess your way to an answer based on context clues. Or, like, the names mentioned.
The answer key is way down at the bottom. As you take the quiz, I’d write down your answers next to the corresponding questions’ numbers and grade yourself in one swoop when you’re done, so that you’re not constantly scrolling down and up again as you go, thereby risking seeing some of the other answers.
All right, folks, let’s begin!
1. “All we’ve got is that maybe you love me and maybe I love you.”
2. “A guy told me one time, ‘Don’t let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.’ Now, if you’re on me and you gotta move when I move, how do you expect to keep a… a marriage?”
3. “You know you don’t have to act with me, Steve. You don’t have to say anything, and you don’t have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don’t you, Steve? You just put your lips together and… blow.”
4. “We have all the time in the world.”
5. “I can’t get out now but you still can. I want you to say the word to me, and I’m gonna put you on that bus back to your momma. ‘Cause you mean a lot to me, honey, and I just ain’t gonna make you run with me.”
6. “Wherever we go, whatever happens, Mickey, when I look up at the stars, I’ll know you’ll be lookin’ up at the same ones.”
7. “I killed him for money—and a woman—and I didn’t get the money and I didn’t get the woman. Pretty, isn’t it?
8. “I’ve never caught a jewel thief before. It’s stimulating.”
9. “You aren’t too smart, are you? I like that in a man.”
10. “There’s something black in the green part of your eye.”
11. “Kiss me, Mike. I want you to kiss me. The liar’s kiss that says I love you and means something else.”
12. “I didn’t kill my wife!”
13. “You know, you said I’m scared, Michel. It’s true, I’m scared. Because I want you to love me. But at the same time, I want you to stop loving me.”
14. “Only you, darling. Lanky brunettes with wicked jaws.”
15. “I will return. I will find you. Love you. Mary you. And live without shame.”
16. “When you love someone, you’ve gotta trust them. There’s no other way. You’ve got to give them the key to everything that’s yours. Otherwise, what’s the point? And for a while, I believed, that’s the kind of love I had.”
17. “You’re the first man in five years who didn’t tell me I look like Veronica Lake inside of a minute.”
18. “You won’t answer my calls, you change your number. I mean, I’m not gonna be ignored, Dan!”
19. “Okay, Chief, take ’em away. I’m gonna go home and sleep with my wife.”
20. “You met me at a very strange time in my life.”
21. “I’ve got some news for you, Johnny. I’m going to do exactly what I please, when I please. I was true to one man once, hmmm… and look what happened.”
22. “I want you to know I love you. I’ve loved you more than any woman’s ever loved a rabbit.”
23. “I’m asking you to marry me, you little fool.”
24. ” It’s like seeing someone for the first time, like you can be passing on the street, and you look at each other for a few seconds, and there’s this kind of a recognition like you both know something. Next moment the person’s gone, and it’s too late to do anything about it. And you always remember it because it was there, and you let it go, and you think to yourself, ‘What if I had stopped? What if I had said something?’ What if, what if… it may only happen a few times in your life.”
25. “When we get out of this, you can ride the train with me again.”
26. “I love you, Honey Bunny.”
27. “Nobody’s perfect.”
Answers down below.
one. The Maltese Falcon
3. To Have and Have Not
Four. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
5. Bonnie and Clyde
6. Natural Born Killers
7. Double Indemnity
8. To Catch a Thief
9. Body Heat
eleven. Kiss Me Deadly
12. The Fugitive
14. The Thin Man
17. LA Confidential
18. Fatal Attraction
twenty. Fight Club
22. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
25. North by Northwest
26. pulp fiction
27. Some Like It Hot