Rise and shine, Jackson! Let’s get you started this Wednesday with everything you need to know going on around Jackson today.
First, today’s weather:
Mostly cloudy and warm. High: 59 Low: 40.
Here are the top 3 stories today in Jackson:
- 20-year-old Jermarcus Kelly has been arrested and charged in the murder of a toddler who died Monday morning. 2-year-old Melanie Henderson was rushed to the hospital last Friday after being found unresponsive. Authorities confirmed the child’s injuries were consistent with blunt force trauma. (WLBT)
- Jackson Public Schools held a ribbon-cutting to unveil the $1.1 million renovations at Northwest Jackson IB Middle School. One of the renovations involved replacing more than 70,000 square feet of carpet in the school to make the building more accessible to students with allergies. The renovations were made as part of a $65 million bond passed by voters in 2018. (WAPT Jackson)
- Former NBA star Mo Williams will be the next men’s basketball coach for Jackson State University. Williams, who played 14 seasons in the NBA and won an NBA title with the Cleveland Cavaliers, is currently the coach for Alabama State. He will replace JSU’s current coach Wayne Brent when he retires at the end of the season. (Clarion Ledger)
From our sponsor:
Today’s Jackson Daily is brought to you in part by our friends at GoodRx — the best way to save money on your prescriptions. GoodRx helps you locate the lowest prices for medications at local pharmacies, so you’re not overpaying. Works for pet medications too! To see how much you can save, go to GoodRx.com.
Today in Jackson:
- Preschool Story Time At Pearl Public Library (10:00 AM)
From my notebook:
- Mississippi School of the Arts presents the 2022 Spring Dance Concert! Join this free event in person on March 9 or 10 at 7:00 pm The concert will also stream live on Thursday, March 10, on social media. (instagram)
- The Renata Tebaldi Centennial Concert, “La Voce D’Angelo” is less than a week away at the Opera Mississippi! Hear angelic renditions of Tebaldi’s music on March 14 at Duling Hall beginning at 7:30 pm. (Facebook)
- Join East Miss Community College on Thursday, March 10, from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm at The Community! Representatives from area businesses and industries will be on hand to speak with attendees. (instagram)
Loving the Jackson Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
Alrighty, you’re all good for today. I’ll see you around!
— kayla harrison
About me: Kayla Harrison is a Writing Arts professor, as well as a freelance writer for content creation agency Lightning Media Partners. In her free time, you can find her listening to podcasts, writing poetry, and visiting local coffee shops.