In World’s Finest, Batman and Robin rush to Metropolis to stop Poison Ivy, who has teamed up with a Superman villain that has a dangerous new weapon.
Batman/Superman: World’s Finest makes a major Superman villain even more of a threat.
A preview for the title’s debut issue, written by Mark Waid with art by Dan Mora, shows the superhero duo dealing with a deadly team-up: Poison Ivy and Metallo. The two villains attack The Daily Planet with the goal of taking on Superman, and Metallo injects Superman with a wicked cocktail of small Red Kryptonite shards that have been irradiated. This variant of Kryptonite can be unpredictable, causing effects for a Kryptonian ranging from embracing their dark side to something else entirely.
Metallo was already a problem for Superman being that his heart is made out of Kryptonite, which is detrimental to the hero. He first appeared in Action Comics #252 and has been featured in various adaptations, such as the animated Superman/Batman: Public Enemies movie, as well as the live-action Smallville and super girl television series. Of course, in addition to the dangerous concoction he now possesses, his team-up with Poison Ivy also adds to the perilous encounter for Superman.
This is not the first time that Poison Ivy has gone after Superman while working with another villain in comics. The fan-favorite batman hush storyline saw Ivy mind-control the Man of Steel while she had been dealing with Hush. In other media, Hush has been teased as a potential villain for a sequel to batmanwhich is currently in theaters starring Robert Pattinson as the Caped Crusader.
as for World’s Finest, the solicitation for the issue hints that Metallo’s dangerous syringe will “super-charge” Superman’s powers, which will prompt Batman to seek out the Doom Patrol’s help. The Doom Patrol has risen to new heights of popularity with a the team’s titular television series on HBO Max, which has been renewed for a fourth season. Batman and Superman’s team-up with the Doom Patrol will continue into the title’s second issue as well.
The preview and solicitation for Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #1, along with its many variant covers, can be found below.
BATMAN/SUPERMAN: WORLD’S FINEST #1
- Written by MARK WAID
- Art and cover by DAN MORA
- Variant covers by JIM LEE, STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU, and JASON FABOK
- 1:25 “SLAP BATTLE” variant covers (2) by CHIP ZDARSKY
- 1:50 “HIGH FIVE” variant cover by EVAN “DOC” SHANER
- 1:100 “SEINFELD” variant cover by DAN MORA
- Team variant cover by LEE WEEKS
- $3.99US | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
- ON SALE 3/15/22
- The Dark Knight. The Man of Steel. They are the two finest superheroes that the world has ever known…and they’re together again in an epic new series from the legendary talents of Mark Waid and Dan Mora! In the not-too-distant past, Superman’s powers are super-charged from a devastating chemical attack by the villain Metallo…and the only ally that the ultra-powerful Man of Tomorrow can turn to in this turbulent hour is Gotham’s own dark vengeance: the Batman. A nearly fatal burst of power drives Bruce Wayne to his own extreme measures to help his friend de el… enlisting none other than the Doom Patrol for aid. It’s the world’s greatest superheroes from the world’s greatest comic book talent in an epic comic book experience that kicks off the next big events in the DCU. Get ready, it’s time to dream.
Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #1 is written by Wait with interior and cover art by Mora and letters by Aditya Bidikar. The issue’s plethora of variant covers were contributed to by Brad Anderson, Jim Lee, Scott Williams, Alex Sinclair, Stanley Lau, Evan Shaner, Jason Fabok, Lee Weeks, Chip Zdarsky and Nathan Szerdy. The issue goes on sale March 15 from DC Comics.
KEEP READING: Brad Meltzer Details His Long History With Batman & Superman
Source: DC Comics
Before Spider-Man, Sam Raimi Spawned Cinema’s Darkest Superhero Trilogy
About The Author