Morning, people of Savannah! It’s me again, Kayla Harrison, your host of the Savannah Daily.
First, today’s weather:
A few strong pm t-storms. High: 82 Low: 67.
Are you a local business owner or marketer? We can help you effortlessly run effective ads that reach customers in Savannah. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top three stories in Savannah today:
- The Savannah Police Department reports that a 31-year-old man was shot while driving in the 1000 block of Montgomery Street. The incident occurred on Monday night and the man was taken to Memorial Medical Center to receive treatment for his lower leg gunshot wound. The department is reportedly conducting an investigation into the shooting. (WSAV-TV)
- A review of 2021 crime statistics by Savannah Morning News has found that ‘gun use in a threatening manner’ has doubled since 2019. Data also showed that firearm discharges in Savannah rose 63.6 percent. An unfortunate statistic shows that gun-related incidents are also trending toward the younger demographic. Click the link for the full review. (Savannah MorningNews)
- Five Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools have been named 2022 Advanced Placement (AP) Honors Schools. Jenkins High School, New Hampstead High School, Savannah Arts Academy, Islands High School, Woodville Tompkins Technical and Career High School were given the prestigious designation. The Advanced Placement designation is awarded based on the number of students taking and passing AP exams. (WSAV-TV)
From our sponsor:
Where should you invest as a Savannah resident with a $149,000 nest egg? Thanks to a change in the legal code, there’s a new investment Savannah residents need to know about. In fact, Bloomberg asked experts where they’d invest $100,000 right now and many of them chose it.
This may surprise you, but it’s fine art.
Growing your nest egg with art isn’t new. Wealthy families like the Rockefellers have done it for centuries.
- Low correlation to stocks according to Citi
- Contemporary art historically returns 23.2% when inflation is >3%
- Contemporary art prices outpaced the S&P 500 by 164% (1995-2021)
Translation: Art could be one of the best investments for uncertain times.
Luckily for you, we found Masterworks. This revolutionary platform lets you invest in art by Warhol, Monet, Picasso without spending millions.
The best part? Anyone from your area can skip their waitlist*.
*See important Reg A Disclosures
Today in Savannah:
- Outdoor Storytime At Bull Street Library (10:30 AM)
- Financial Literacy Workshop At Southwest Library (2:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Savannah Children’s Theater has canceled all classes and rehearsals due to severe weather. Click for more information regarding cancellations. (Facebook)
- The Savannah Police Department announces that they are investigating an Apr. 4 shooting. Click to read the full news release. (Facebook)
- Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools shares a recent student trip to the state capitol. Click to see the photos. (Facebook)
Loving the Savannah Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
Alrighty, you’re all caught up for today. I’ll see you soon!
— kayla harrison
About me: Kayla Harrison is a Writing Arts professor, as well as a freelance writer for content creation agency Lightning Media Partners. In her free time, you can find her listening to podcasts, writing poetry, and visiting local coffee shops.